I have subscribed to Birchbox and Ipsy both for a little under a year. In this time I’ve had some really great products and some pretty awful ones. Below is a list I’ve compiled of what I feel are the pros and cons of each of these subscriptions services.
- Higher-end brands.
- Points system. Birchbox by far has the best points system. Review your products each month, they rack up quick.
- Can use points on anything in the store.
- Can usually find a promo code for 100 extra points when you subscribe.
- Many variations of boxes, sometimes I feel like I get leftovers, and they are not equal in value.
- Often small samples, even foil packets and those cards you rip out of magazines.
- Rarely full-sized items.
- Sometimes include random non-beauty items: snack bars, vitamins, etc (more often lately).
- Often contains full-sized items.
- Generally more makeup products in the bag each month.
- Not as many variations each month so the bags are more equal.
- Better spoilers/sneak peeks.
- Receive a makeup bag each month.
- Point system isn’t up to par. It would be almost impossible to acquire enough points to redeem without referring people.
- Can only redeem points on 3-4 items that change slowly.
- Sometiems the groups of products are not equal in value. For example a $30 Too Faced bronzer or a $6 Revlon lip stain.
- Repeat brands. They have been better with this but for awhile several bags in a row contained the same brand.
What are your thoughts on Birchbox or Ipsy?