OK, so that title sounded a little harsh, I just wanted to get your attention. More accurately it should be titled ‘what frustrates me about your blog’, ‘what your blog is missing’, or ‘why I won’t read your blog’. And it’s not because of you, it’s your blog.
1. No social media links. There has been many times where I have found a blog that I would love to follow but it was on a different site (blogger, etc.) that had no way for me to follow. I don’t use Google Friend Connect, but I do use Facebook, Bloglovin, and follow by email. I feel everyone should have the links somewhere on their page. Sure, I could look it up on Facebook or Bloglovin but I’m not going to.
2. No about me page. I like to learn about the blogger, it makes me feel more connected. It also helps me to get a better understanding of who the blogger is, what they stand for, and their background. It makes us like besties.
3. No search bar. Two main reasons I hate when blogs don’t have a search bar: 1. I’m at your blog because of Pinterest and they just linked to your blog not the actual post, I want to search your blog for the project I’m looking for. I’m not going to scroll through 6 years of posts. 2. If I like a topic you’re writing about and want to search for more info/similar posts I can’t. Bummer.
4. No picture. I like to see who I’m reading about. This goes along with number 2. And it makes me feel like you’re not some creepy guy posing as a 20-something lady.
5. No contact information. Kind of goes along with number 1. If I have a question, etc. and want to be able to email you privately, I feel I should be able too. Either by an email or a contact form.
6. Having to subscribe to post a comment. This is something I’ve noticed on some blogger blogs. You have to subscribe to the RSS feed in order to comment. Well this somewhat goes with number 1 also. I have a different blog platform and follow non-wordpress blogs via Facebook, Bloglovin, or email. I don’t want to subscribe to a RSS feed to comment. I should be able to comment without following you anyways.
7. Captcha! I’ll give you guys a break on this one, but still it annoys me :). This is one of the main reasons I chose WordPress over Blogger. I hate those Captcha! (word verification) widgets to prove I’m human and not a robot. It’s just seems like such a waste of time to me, WordPress just sorts any spam comments into a separate folder (like your email), much more simple and not so annoying.
8. Autoplaying videos and music (background music). Not a huge deal because usually my computer is muted. But I am usually multitasking and have 93857 tabs open (I’m not the only one, right? Especially on Pinterest…) and if I want to use audio on a different tab I will x out of your blog because the music (if I can easily turn off the video/song I might not x out). Seriously, if I want to watch or listen to something I’ll click on it, promise! As far as background music goes – this isn’t MySpace I don’t want to hear it. Maybe just have a sound bar on the side so I can click play, but that’s it.
9. Overdone with Ads. I have no problems with ads on a blog but when they are everywhere taking up 75% of the blog I’m no longer interested in your content. And please no pop-ups (including the ads that popout when you put your mouse over them).
10. Too Hard to Read. For the most part I don’t care what your blog looks like. Including color, patterns, schemes, fonts, etc. My problem is when it’s near impossible to see the content due to the color, design, template, etc. You know what I mean? Like when I can barely decipher the text because of the style (cursive, etc.) or the background color and text color are too close and it’s hard to read.
How do you feel about this list? What are your like, dislikes, must-haves of a blog? Leave it in the comments below! Don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have about your blog, I’ll do my best to answer them!