Yes, it’s November. Yes, this post is about Christmas. But really it’s time to start thinking about gift ideas. And if your farmer is anything like my mechanic/farmer, than Christmas shopping for him is quite a tasks. He’ll say he doesn’t want or need anything. And let’s be real, everything he needs he just buys. So when I read a post on Housewives of Rural America titled Gift-Giving Guide for the Rural Man, it got me thinking that I need to start brainstorming and coming up with some ideas. Of course there are always the basics, the ones where you can’t really go wrong. Clothes, tools, BBQ grilling set, collectable toy tractors, gift cards. A rural man is really their own type of human. They prefer gifts that are practical and useful. I’ve come up with a list of 10 gifts for rural men that you may not have thought of. Some are funny, some are practical, some are awesome, and some are sentimental. Regardless there’s bound to be atleast one that you’re man will love.
1. Fun Stocking Stuffer. Man Hands: Manly Scented Soaps. With scents ranging from bacon to top soil to race day to republican to cash, there’s sure to be one that will remind you of your man.
2. The Gift That Keeps Giving. Bacon or beef jerky of the Month Clubs. Each month he will receive a package in the mail containing whatever it is you picked out for him. I suggested this as a DIY present rather than actually buying a subscription because they are crazy expensive. But make sure you don’t flake out and forget halfway through the “subscription’, because well that would be lame.
3. Family Heirloom. Arial photo of the farm. Think of the surprise on his face when he unwraps this. And it’s something he’ll treasure for years to come. Forever really. (You’ll have to Google a company in your area.)
4. King of the Grill. Personalized Branding Iron. Men like to grill. Men like meat. Why not let him brand his meat with his name, farm name, or personalized saying.
5. Workin’ Man. Farm Business Cards. You can get cheap, decent looking ones from Vistaprint. This way he can think of you every time he makes a new business contact.
6. Homestead. Farm Sign. Show him how proud you are of your having his last name and the farm you built together.
7. Light Up His Life. Flashlight. But it can’t be just any flashlight. You will pay for these flashlights. They are rechargeable and insanely, blind-you-for-10-minutes bright. Kyle is never without his, he loves it, and recommends it to everyone.
8. Lend a Hand. Gloves. If there’s one thing I can think of that EVERY rural man uses, it’s gloves. It’s all about practicality, people. But spice it up, buy them his favorite brand or one with a favorite logo on it. (John Deere, IH, Carhartt, etc.)
9. Take Note. Field Notes Notebooks. They’re are many sizes and colors to choose from. There are even ones for each state, I recommend buying him the one from your state. They fit inside his shirt or pants pocket and are perfect for writing down, well, field notes. There is a different brand Rite in the Rain, which is the same concept except the pages and ink are waterproof. You can literally stand in a field and write notes in the pouring rain.
10. Bottoms Up. Stanley Hip Flask. I know a lot of rural men carrying around Stanley Thermoses. This will just spice up their evening up. It lets him put a little Jack D in his Coke. Plus, it has that classic Stanley Thermos look. (This may be more for the older generation.)
Bonus Item. Engraved Pocket Knife. Every man has one. Rural men wear then out and lose them. So why not get him one engraved with his name. That way it won’t walk off and everyone will know who it belongs to. He may not want to use this one though, since it’s engraved, it makes a nice keepsake too. But don’t get mad if he uses it and ruins it, remember it’s a knife, it’s practicable. And it will probably be used.
Well there you have it. Eleven items that are sure to give your rural man a great Christmas!